Teach Your Children Fire Safety
Every year home fires claim more lives than all other natural disasters combined. Cleveland Water & Fire Restoration wants to stress that one of the best ways to both protect your children and prevent home fires is to educate your children about fire safety. Take the mystery out of playing with fire by teaching your children that fire is not a toy, it is a tool.
Firefighters and teachers do their part to educate children about the dangers of fire. They explain what to do if there is a fire in your child’s home or school. Remember the slogan “Stop, Drop, and Roll”. But no matter how much your child learns about fire safety at school, it’s up to you to reinforce that learning. It’s great that fire safety is taught in schools but the real learning comes from the home.
Make and Practice a Fire Safety Plan
Everyone in your family must react instantly in a fire situation. Not only should you plan an escape route, you should create an escape route from several different areas in your home. There’s no way to guarantee exactly where everyone will be if a fire breaks out. Knowing how to escape from the bedroom is just as important as knowing how to escape from the family room. After your plans are complete, practice, practice, practice. You have only minutes before smoke makes it hard to breathe or see and the heat becomes unbearable.
Simple Fire Safety Steps
- Store matches and lighters up out of the reach of your children. Maybe even locate these items in a cabinet you can lock.
- Teach your children to never pick up matches or lighters if they find them. Instead they should call an adult and point these items out to the nearest adult.
- Never leave your children alone in the kitchen while cooking is taking place.
- Never leave your children alone in a room where there are burning candles.
- Upon occasion, inspect your children’s bedrooms and play areas for evidence that they have been playing with matches or lighters.
- Install smoke detectors throughout your home and show your children what they sound like when they go off.
- Emphasize that if a home fire ever happens that once you get out, stay out. “Things” can be replaced, people can’t.
- Purchase an escape ladder if bedrooms are on an upper floor.
- Buy a fire extinguisher. Learn how to use it properly.
Fire Is a Tool, Not a Toy
Teach your children that it takes three things to have a fire: oxygen, heat, and fuel, or something to burn. Without any one of the three, a fire can’t exist. But not all fires are bad fires. We roast marshmallows and hot dogs around a camp fire. We heat our homes with fire. We cook our food with fire. When we use fire in this way it is controlled.
If your home has been damaged by fire, call Cleveland Water & Fire Restoration, at 440-530-4881. Our fire restoration services are available around the clock. 365 days a year. We can handle content cleaning and pack out, demolition, deodorization, and emergency board ups. Our estimate is free and without any obligation. Call us today.
Why Choose Cleveland Water & Fire Restoration?
24/7 LIVE CALLS - Always speak with an ACTUAL team member.
On our way in 60 minutes or less - Crews are standing by!
We bill directly to insurance.
Fully trained IICRC certified technicians with full background checks on every job!
Clear communication with client & insurance company during process.
Locally and family owned and operated.
Fully bonded and insured
Our Water & Fire Cleanup & Restoration Services
Emergency Service Available 24/7 to residents of Northeast Ohio
Water can cause a lot of damage to a home, some of which is not always visible. We won’t just clean up the mess, but help identify the areas that need restoration and help you rebuild…Learn More About Water Damage Services
Sewage backup is a serious health concern and failure to clean up quickly or properly can expose you to dangerous bacteria. We have emergency cleanup teams standing by waiting for your call…Learn More About Sewage Cleanup Services
The damage caused by fire and smoke creates a terrible mess and often requires a complex demolition and cleanup process before the rebuild can begin. Let our experts help you from start to finish…Learn More About Fire Damage Services
One of the most common types of storm damage we see occurs to the roof of the home. From missing shingles to severely damaged roofs caused by falling trees or large branches, we can help…Learn More About Storm Damage Services
Fast, affordable mold inspection, remediation & removal services in Northeast, Ohio. Whether you are looking for mold testing, need mold remediation or require post-remediation verification, we can help…Learn More About Our Mold Services
Experience You Can Trust!
Our company and technicians have successfully completed IICRC (Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification) remediation course with the following certifications:
- IICRC Water Damage Restoration course (WRT)
- IICRC Applied Structural Drying course (ASD)
- IICRC The Applied Microbial Remediation Technician course (AMRT)
- IICRC The Fire and Smoke Restoration Technician course (FSRT)
- IICRC The Odor Control Technician course (OCT)
In addition, we are also MICRO Certified (Mold Inspection Consulting and Remediation Organization) and a "Lead-Safe Certified Firm", which means you can trust the work we do the results we provide!